[scribus] mathematical equations

Louis Desjardins louis_desjardins at mardigrafe.com
Fri Aug 1 17:55:21 CEST 2008

> F.Harr at softhome.net a écrit :
> Well, wouldn't you export the finished product into a PDF, which
> makes the equasion into a line-drawing.  Then it doesn't matter what
> it was before it was in Scribus, does it?

>> Exporting to PDF will not turn a bitmap image into a vector one. The
>> PDF will keep the bitmap as it is. You could reduce the resolution
>> and/or compress your image at PDF creation using the various settings
>> Scribus offers, but not change it to a vector.
>> As stated in other posts, the EPS format will suit better in the case
>> the document has to be printed. I am not sure about SVG but I guess it
>> could be used too, depending on complexity of the image.

 >>> True enough but if you're carefull and get what you want BEFORE you
make
 >>> the PDF (and I'm talking about the PDF for the entire document, not
just
 >>> the pucture) and with a reasonably high resolution, that it isn't in a
 >>> vector format shouldn't be noticeable.

This will depend upon RIP resolution. For instance, there are workflows
where dual resolution is used in order to reduce considerably the amount
of data on the network and RIPing time. Thus, vector can be RIPed at
2400 dpi and images will remain at 300 dpi. This will be fine in all
cases where images are really images and not meant to be treated or used
as vector replacements. In this case, no matter if the input file was
even at 800 dpi, it will be RIPed at 300 and the loss will be obvious
for just about any eyes.

My recommandation is, as much as possible, use the appropriate format
for any given task. Keep vector for vectors and bitmap for true images.
That way, you avoid surprises downstream. It’s all about control, in fact.

Louis

p.s. Please avoid top-posting as it becomes very difficult to follow a
thread. I have trimmed down the thread a bit and replaced the order of
the discussion so the other readers can follow. I have copied to the
list since I believe this discussion can help others. I very rarely
answer personnaly to people asking questions to the list. Cheers!