[Scribus] Eliminating non-European fonts.

Pierre Marchand capparis
Tue Apr 22 23:46:52 CEST 2008

Vous (Gregory Pittman) avez ?crit?:
> John Culleton wrote:
> > Since I am an English-language-only user the various fonts for Hindu
> > etc. do not help me. The descriptive names in Scribus do not
> > necessarily relate to the actual file names. I would like to
> > eliminate them from the font selection list and would not miss them
> > if they were deleted altogether. On my Slackware 12 Linux system what
> > elimination technique works best?

John, I don?t know if Slackware manages dependancies between packages. If yes,
use the mechanism provided by the package manager to first check if these
fonts are not required by some packages you  want to keep and then remove the
font packages with the dedicated tool. If not, "rm" will be your friend but
there is a chance that you?ll break some software by doing so.
To be honest I would be very interested to know how far you can go on that
path and keep a functional distribution :)
I guess you can rely on fonts which have large Unicode coverage to ensure that
your system will keep fully usable (e.g. DejaVu, Gentium, etc.).
Just keep in mind that your system has minimum requirements regarding the
installed set of fonts and play with it!
Once it?s done, I would encourage you to manage the fonts you use to layout
text in a different way. Mainly by maintaining your own font collection and
symlink them into ~/.fonts directory when needed or taking advantage of the
font management feature offered by Scribus (File->Preferences->Fonts).

> If you use KDE, go to Control Center > System Administration > Font
> Installer, where you can selectively delete as many fonts as you like.
> In Gnome, you can go to nautilus and enter fonts:/// to find them and
> delete.
>
> They will still be present, just not available. Ultimately you could go
> to /usr/share/fonts (presumably where the files are) and delete
> directories you do not want.

Be very carefull with this method!

> I use Fedora, where I could also do 'yum list lohit*' to list all lohit
> fonts, then do 'yum remove ....' for all I do not want. I don't know
> what equivalent Slackware uses.
>
> Greg

Finally I just repeated what Greg said ;)

--
Pierre Marchand