[Scribus] Eliminating non-European fonts.

Gregory Pittman gpittman
Tue Apr 22 22:26:09 CEST 2008

John Culleton wrote:
> Since I am an English-language-only user the various fonts for Hindu
> etc. do not help me. The descriptive names in Scribus do not
> necessarily relate to the actual file names. I would like to
> eliminate them from the font selection list and would not miss them
> if they were deleted altogether. On my Slackware 12 Linux system what
> elimination technique works best?
>
> Here are some candidates:
> East Syriac
> Estrangleo
> Gargi
> etc.
> There must be a hundred of these.

If you use KDE, go to Control Center > System Administration > Font
Installer, where you can selectively delete as many fonts as you like.
In Gnome, you can go to nautilus and enter fonts:/// to find them and
delete.

They will still be present, just not available. Ultimately you could go
to /usr/share/fonts (presumably where the files are) and delete
directories you do not want.

I use Fedora, where I could also do 'yum list lohit*' to list all lohit
fonts, then do 'yum remove ....' for all I do not want. I don't know
what equivalent Slackware uses.

Greg