[Scribus] 1.3.3.11 doesn't read modified notepad/WinXP .sla files.

Craig Ringer craig
Sat Apr 19 15:03:50 CEST 2008

Plinnell wrote:

>> However, 1.3.3.11 displayed an error and didn't open the .sla every
>> single time I saved the modifications to the .sla in the NotePad. I
>> tried UTF8, ANSI and Unicode formats in the Notepad.

Notepad is probably prepending a UTF-8 byte order mark (BOM) to the
document. It's a couple of bytes of data that identify the text as
UTF-8. The BOM is optional on UTF-8 encoded text. Scribus should handle
the BOM, but given how the file type detection code works it's highly
likely that it does not.

I take it that Scribus complains that the file is not a valid scribus sla ?

>> Only ANSI worked
>> but the frame handles were displaying in big block RED boxes instead
>> of small red squares.

OK, that's weird.

In any case, if Notepad is treating the document as UTF-8 when it reads
it, then you must save it as UTF-8 to avoid mangling non-ASCII
characters in the document.

At least on my Vista box notepad lets me specify the text encoding of
the input file in the Open dialog. It doesn't let me control whether or
not I get a UTF-8 BOM when I save in the UTF-8 encoding, though. If
Scribus doesn't handle a UTF-8 BOM in the document that is IMO a Scribus
bug.

Nonetheless, you should probably grab another text editor that lets you
control whether or not you want the byte order mark when saving text in
the UTF-8 encoding. Most editors just don't  bother inserting a BOM when
saving UTF-8 text.

--
Craig Ringer