[Scribus] Scribus Digest, Vol 62, Issue 8

John Beardmore John
Fri Apr 18 15:37:49 CEST 2008

Roger wrote:

>>>      Scribus crashed due to the following exception:
>>>                                         EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION
>
> Have you tried opening the file in Linux.
> It may be a windows problem.

:)   I like the way you think, but it may be prejudice on my part.

> I vaguely remember getting this error message on a blue screen of death way
> before I started using Linux, I could never get to the crux of it back then but
> I do remember that having to reinstall windows seemed to fix it temporarily.

Yes -  though that was presumably unrelated to Scribus ?  As far as I
know, access violations are a pretty generic 'point outside my address
space' kind of bug.

> That was a long time ago now so it may be invalid information.

Unfortunately we don't need to upgrade our Linux boxes too often, so
although we have a bunch, one of them has a DEC Alpha processor, three
CPUs in fact (!), and none of them are new enough to run scribus.

As a thought though, I'll try Scribus on another windows box.

> I usually don't include sensitive information in an sla file but use a text box
> which contains the info referenced in a .txt file - I change the reference to a
> dummy .txt file so the sensitive info isn't included until the last version is
> ready to print.

Unfortunately or not, I've evolved the habit of writing the text as I do
the layout.

Cheers, J/.
Carbon Trust Consultant: Energy Audit, Carbon Footprint, Design Advice
Energy Efficiency Accreditation Scheme, (EEAS), Registered Assessor