[Scribus] I need a lot of colored rectangles.

Gregory Pittman gpittman
Tue Apr 15 19:00:32 CEST 2008

Andrew A. Gill wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Apr 2008, Gregory Pittman wrote:
>
>> Don't give up on the gradient suggestion too soon. You could make a
>> gradient strip as suggested, then superimpose a series of opaque white
>> rectangles, with appropriate space in between to show the colors.
>> Multiple Duplicate will allow you to make one white rectangle then
>> repeat it as many times as you want.
>>
>> I made a small demo entry on the wiki:
>>
>> http://wiki.scribus.net/index.php/Gradient_Strip
>>

> Thanks, this is aesthetically very close to what I'm looking for,
> but I'm specifically trying to avoid the gradient function.
>
> In FM screening (which I'm pretty sure they use), gradients, and
> especially two-color gradients look terrible and grainy.

Not sure who the "they" is you're talking about. Would suggest you make
a gradient, export to PDF, then look at it in Adobe Reader at 6400%
magnification.  If you can see graininess there, you may want to check
in with an ophthalmologist.

Now, if you're going to send a PDF through a bad printing process,
that's no reason to search for perfection from Scribus, since it won't
matter anyway.

Speaking as a neurologist, I think perhaps you overestimate the
abilities of the brain's visual processing. As far as I can tell, you've
taken your original problem and turned it into a pursuit of perfection
that is unachievable and almost certainly unnecessary.

Greg