[Scribus] Win XP: EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION

John Beardmore John
Tue Apr 15 15:29:35 CEST 2008

I'm using scribus 1.3.3.10 under XP.  It's been stable since it was
installed, and has done a few fair sized documents in the 30 to 70 page
range, with a mixture of text and graphics -  all a great success.

I have one document in its embryonic stages that I no longer seem able
to load, though there were no problems I noticed when I was last working
on it.  Each time I try to load it, it now falls over within a couple of
seconds with:

     Scribus crashed due to the following exception:
                                        EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION

with the green progress bar at 95%.

To begin with I assumed that it was just a problem with the .sla file
having got corrupted on disk.  Fortunately I have four previous
revisions of the file, all of which were saved as backups with no known
problems at the time of saving.  When I try and load any of these, the
outcome is the same, so I doubt it's a problem with the .sla files.  To
the unaided and inexperienced eye, the .sla files look OK in a text
editor too.

Next I wondered if the scribus software had got corrupted somehow, but
scribus seems perfectly able to load my recent 62 page epic report on
the thermal performance of an aircraft hangar, so I've got no evidence
that Scribus is actually broken at all !

I'm not aware of having changed the Scribus configuration, version or
available fonts, so does anyone have any idea how best to start tracing
my problem in the happy world of win XP ?

I would like to get this project back on the rails ASAP -  the deadlines
are approaching, so it would be great not to have to recreate the
document from scratch, which I suppose might just recreate the same
problem I'm having now anyway.

If needs be, I could upload the .sla file, but as it has the names and
addresses of a couple of people in it, I'd rather not make it public if
it can be helped.

Is it worth upgrading to the windows version of 1.3.3.12 just in case
it's a fixed bug ?

All thoughts welcome !

Cheers, J/.,
Carbon Trust Consultant: Energy Audit, Carbon Footprint, Design Advice
Energy Efficiency Accreditation Scheme, (EEAS), Registered Assessor