[Scribus] I need a lot of colored rectangles.

avox avox
Mon Apr 14 23:02:27 CEST 2008

Andrew A. Gill wrote:

> I'm having some trouble completing a task with Scribus.
>
> Here's the story:
>
> I've been asked to redesign a form for psychological evaluations.
> The form basically shows parents how well their kids are doing on
> various assessment scales, and at the bottom of each scale is a
> gradient.
>
> Not your average good-looking gradient, but a big, honking ugly
> gradient, from pure red through yellow and on into green.  My
> first impulse was to delete the gradient and replace it with
> black and white bars, but I was told that the gradient was ``Sort
> of their thing,'' as it showed parents if their kids were in the
> red zone, the green zone or somewhere inbetween.
>
> Color gradients like that are difficult to print, and I was
> hoping to offer them an alternative option.  You can find the
> original and one of my alternatives here:
>
> <http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/superluser/fradients.png>
>
> It may not be easy to see, but there are 168 rectangles there.  I
> would like to make each one a separate color, since that should
> print better than an actual gradient.
>
> I don't have a problem with doing a lot of repetitive stuff, but
> as far as I can tell, the method for doing this is
>
> Edit>Colors>New, enter CMYK quad, hit OK
> (repeat 168 times)
>
> and then
>
> Open up properties dialogue, select rectangle, select color
> (repeat 168 times)
>
> I really have no problem with doing the second part, but is there
> any way to streamline the former?  Somebody suggested importing
> an EPS file with all the colors, and it looks like that would
> work, but it would still be a lot of work to create such a
> palette.
>
> Suggestions?

Well, the easiest would be to use Scribus's gradient function. If you
don't want to do that, you could generate the rectangles with
"Duplicate multiple", save the file and then adjust the colors in the
.sla file. Say you gave the first box the color "gradient1", look for
a line <COLOR NAME="gradient1" ... >, replicate that line as needed,
then look for the <PAGEITEM ...> lines which use "gradient1" as the
background color and replace those with "gradient2" ..."gradient 168".

Hm, on second thought, you could also create a swatch file with the
needed colors and load that into Scribus. Then you would only have to
adjust the color names in the .sla file.

HTH
/Andreas