[Scribus] Bleed questions

John Culleton john
Fri Apr 11 14:23:29 CEST 2008

On Monday 07 April 2008 07:30:32 am David Sarnowski wrote:
> I am new to Scribus and DTP in general.  I am making a double sided
> flyer with three panels.  I am using poylgons to provide background
> color to some of my text areas on the page.  Here are my questions:
>
>    - How much should I let the shapes run over the page to make
> sure the colors run to the edge for a printer?
>    - Because I have two pages, how do I let the shapes from page
> two properly over run the page, but not run onto page 1?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Dave

You can ask your printer what dimension bleed is needed. some say .125
in, some say .250 in.

What I do is make the page image oversize by the bleed dimension on
all four sides. For example instead of a 8.5 x 11 I make it 8.75 x
11.25 for a .125 bleed.  I set the margins so that critical text etc.
doesn't get too close to the edge, typically .380 in all around.

The bottom layer of the page has the background color (a box) and/or
lillustration. The background color box has the full 8.75 x 11.25
dimension and an origin of 0,0. I check this through the properties
of the box.  For everything else on successive layers I observe my
preset margins. I set the margins so that they always show on top.

--
John Culleton