[scribus] Multiple instances of Scribus

Henry Hartley henryhartley at westat.com
Mon Apr 28 23:29:41 CEST 2008

Terry Hancock wrote:

>> John Brown wrote:
> I really don't care if Scribus allows you to open a file more than
>> > once or not, even if I canot think of a good reason why somebody
>> > would deliberately do that.
>> >
>> > If it wants to stop you, there are several methods:
>> > 1) Silent refusal (emacs)
>> > 2) Loud refusal (Excel)
>> > 3) Allow only read-only copies (Word)
>> >
>> > Again, I don't care.
>> >
>> > However, if it allows you to open a file more than once, it
>> > should give you a warning before it lets you go ahead. That is
>> > my only requirement.
>>
>> Vim handles this extremely well.

The GIMP behaves slightly differently on Windows and on Linux, in my
experience.

Right click on a file and open in GIMP.  Then, right click on a second
file and open in GIMP.  On Windows, you'll end up with two instance of
The GIMP.  Do you really need two instances running?  I don't think so,
at least not by default.  Yes, you can get around this but that's the
default behavior on Windows.  On Linux (on CentOS, anyway), the second
file will open in the first instance of GIMP.  Much more intelligent.

I don't know if this is a Linux v Windows issue or a (poor, IMHO) design
decision on the part of the otherwise excellent GIMP team when it comes
to behavior in Windows.

Of course, this is a slightly different issue than the one being
discussed here.  In either case, if you open the file twice you can edit
them both but the one that is saved last is what you'll end up with.  No
warnings.

--
Henry