[Scribus] Scribus beginner questions

Owen rcook
Sun Sep 30 10:19:40 CEST 2007

On Sun, 30 Sep 2007 10:58:29 +1000
"John Thornton" <jdthornton at ozemail.com.au> wrote:

>            Hello to my fellow Scribus devotees!
>                                                                    I am a
> total beginner to both Scribus and page-design. I downloaded Scribus a week
> ago and have been playing with it since. While I am impressed with it I have
> to ask:

I am not sure how you created this message, but it sure got screwed up here.

>                                                                    [1] With
> Adobe Acrobat Reader's advanced features [I have the latest version with
> updates] , what advantages are there to using that to make documents rather
> than Scribus, and vice versa?

Note that;

a. Scribus is a Desktop Publishing Program. It allows you to precisely create a document and then create a pdf file from it.
b. This pdf file can be read in any pdf viewer, including Acrobat.
c. AFAIK, Adobe Acrobat Reader is a Reader, not a creator of documents. Maybe I have misunderstodd your question.

>                                                                    [2] Can I
> make something in Scribus, and then convery it to an acrobat document for
> people who use acrobat? If I can do this, can I change the converted
> document with Acrobat's features?

Yes, that is what Scribus is all about.

a. position your text, images and whatever.
b. Create your pdf
c. Let others view it in pdf readers including Adobe Acrobat Reader

>                                                                    [3] With
> Scribus , I am having difficulty making a table of contents; the text from
> the story editor has to overflow to fit in my text box, and I cannot make
> the textbox bigger or the page layout fails. [The other stuff is going well
> like putting photos in, colour, removing lines to have seamless pages etc]
> Let me show what I mean:

If you can't make the text box bigger, can you make the type smaller? Why not adjust the line spacing, why not have 2 pages for the contents.

Have a look at http://wiki.scribus.net/index.php/Success_stories and
http://wiki.scribus.net/index.php/Made_with_Scribus to get an idea of
what can be done. Also http://wiki.scribus.net/index.php/Get_Started_with_Scribus should be of use to you

Have a look at

I am sorry, but I cannot read what is below. Leave that to someone who can

Owen