[Scribus] Congratulations and initial comments...

Asif Lodhi asif.lodhi
Wed Sep 26 13:21:51 CEST 2007

Hi John,

On 9/25/07, John Beardmore <John at t4sltd.co.uk> wrote:
> > * In addition to the existing feature of creating a Scribus file,
> introduce yet
> >   another option - "Create Project..." - that will make Scribus create a
> >   directory (instead of a single SLA file), bearing the Project-Name or
> Scribus
> >   file-name, and place all SLA files related to
> >   the project in the project directory.
>
> Including the .sla ?

Yes. The suggestion is to create "a project" (in a project directory)
and put SLA file in that directory AND provide the user "an option to
copy the image-file to the project directory" upon insertion of each
image in the SLA. That's when you try to insert an image into the
current SLA, the Scribus should give you an option to copy that image
into the project directory. That's how it goes in normal
web-application development tools like DreamWeaver in which you also
have to deal with external images. This way all the images, etc. get
copied to the project folder and you can clearly see that "your
project is the whole folder" and NOT a single SLA file - so you will
remember to move the whole folder/directory instead of just an SLA
file. Of course, you can do all that yourself - that is, create a
project folder and move all the related images in that directory.
Having Scribus do the same thing just adds to the usability and helps
alleviate inconvenience.

> > The project directory could be a local directory or one created in a
> > remote server or whatever. Actually, this is just like the web
> > application management
> > feature present in Macromedia DreamWeaver (now owned by Adobe).
>
> Not sure how this differs from the 'collection directory' idea expressed
> earlier ?

I haven't used that feature if you're talking about the "Collect for
Output" option. But that creates a folder only when you use that
option. I am suggesting to have Scribus create an SLA file in a
project-directory right from the beginning and putting each image,
that user inserts in the SLA, in the project directory.

--
Best regards,

Asif