[Scribus] Congratulations and initial comments...

John Beardmore John
Tue Sep 25 19:33:25 CEST 2007

Jurgen Gaeremyn wrote:
> Op maandag 24-09-2007 om 22:13 uur [tijdzone +0100], schreef John
> Beardmore:
>> Jurgen Gaeremyn wrote:
>>> Op zondag 23-09-2007 om 22:56 uur [tijdzone +0200], schreef Craig
>>> Bradney:
>>> If anything, I'm quite in favor of this type of option... let it be a
>>> zipped collect folder for as far as I care...
>>>
>>> Furthermore... I can really imagine myself fiddling with a layout...
>>> importing a picture... not liking it ... fetching another one... still
>>> not liking it... tweaking the first one in Gimp... importing that one
>>> again... etc... Basically, I'd have a .sla file needing only 1
>>> picture... but Scribus will become sluggish because of all the
>>> copy/delete action involved in this type of collecting...
>> I don't see why it need to if the rejected images are removed from the
>> collection ?
>
> Okay... I'll spin the "live collect" issue out here... I'm getting a
> certain image. Since I select the "collect all" option by default, it
> collects the image and puts it in the folder... (causing a few extra
> commands, some network traffic). Next I delete it... (causing the
> "delete" command to be executed) etc...
>
> Obviously, if a collect only happens upon saving, this situation is not
> happening...

I guess, but with most pictures being a few meg, and most LANs being
100mbps, I can't get excited about the network traffic.  All this
hardware and software is here to make me productive right ?  I bought it
to work for me, not to give it 'time off for good behaviour' !

And if I was working over a low bandwidth link, all the more reason to
cache images locally if I want to see how they look.

And how much network bandwidth is needed to delete even a 100 meg
file ?

But I don't want to restrict how you work -  I just want all of us to
have the options we need.

>>> Just my first practical impression. I guess a "collect" feature is best
>>> at the end. I would be happy seeing an option to save as "collected
>>> sla.zip" for example. ;)
>> Maybe part of my issue with this is people saying "at the end".  It
>> could be the end of the edit rather than the end of the project.
>>
>> And would the .sla file live in the zip ?  I  suppose what I'm also keen
>> on is the notion of all the resources identified so far being able to
>> live in one container.
>
> If you ask my opinion (even though it's not that relevant, since I'm not
> that big of a Scribus user) ... I'd opt for scribus being able to read
> the zipped file (including the .sla) natively. One file for one complete
> project. No hassles when mailing, when copying, etc...

Agreed.

Cheers, J/.
--
John Beardmore, MSc EDM (Open), B.A. Chem (Oxon), CMIOSH, AIEMA, MEI.
Carbon Trust Consultant -  Energy Audit and Design Advice.