[Scribus] Congratulations and initial comments...

John Beardmore John
Sun Sep 23 21:11:31 CEST 2007

Gregory Pittman wrote:
> John Beardmore wrote:

>> The first is the ability to embed images within .sla files.  At the
>> moment, if I move a document, it seems to loose all the links to
>> pictures as though relative paths were used to locate them.  While I
>> accept the principle that a lot of disk space can be saved by referring
>> to pictures elsewhere in the file system, this can be a nuisance when
>> projects are being developed on multiple machines over multiple sites.
>> For me at least, using the .sla files as a container that includes all a
>> documents images would be a huge benefit.
>>

> The "answer" to this is to use File > Collect for Output, which will
> keep everything together.

Yes.

> Moving things around is generally not so good
> an idea anyway,

:)

Hmmm...  This will be a self fulfilling property if the software is
designed to make it hard.

The 'collect for output' thing will probably be a suffice for now though.

My normal practice is to keep all my images and their manipulated
derivatives in one place, and to embed them in documents as required.
None of these things need be cast in stone, but having the choice will
keep more people in their comfort zone.

  but Collect for Output allows for some collaborative
> work. I think it would help if Scribus used absolute paths for finding
> images, but it uses relative ones.

I think it would be simplest if you could select, choosing between
absolute and relative paths, and embedded images.

>> The other thing that would be really great would be checking spelling as
>> you type.I did some searching in the archives, and I appreciate that a
>> view has been taken that the normal work flow will be develop a document
>> in something like Open Office, then import the text to Scribus.  While
>> I'm sure this can work well, and is perceived by some as the
>> 'ideologically sound' approach, it takes little account of of document
>> development and rework.
>>
>> For myself, I tend to develop documents in the DTP environment, laying
>> out a 'storyboard' of pictures, then entering text around them,
>> adjusting the layout as the art and text coalesce.  For me, 'spell check
>> as you type' would be a huge benefit.  Even if the purists think I'm
>> doing it all wrong, it works brilliantly for me !
>>
> This keeps coming up, and I'm pretty sure there is a feature request for
> this.

Excellent !

> I wouldn't mind just seeing a possibly misspelled word underlined
> like some programs do.

Yes -  that's exactly what I have n mind.

> For those who really need spell checking,
> entering text with an outside editor for that part, then importing to
> Scribus is a workaround.

Yes.  I've been entering it in Scribus, then cutting and pasting into
something with a spelling checker.

Thanks, J/.
--
John Beardmore, MSc EDM (Open), B.A. Chem (Oxon), CMIOSH, AIEMA, MEI.
Carbon Trust Consultant -  Energy Audit and Design Advice.