[Scribus] Congratulations and initial comments...

Gregory Pittman gpittman
Sun Sep 23 19:12:02 CEST 2007

John Beardmore wrote:
> The first is the ability to embed images within .sla files.  At the
> moment, if I move a document, it seems to loose all the links to
> pictures as though relative paths were used to locate them.  While I
> accept the principle that a lot of disk space can be saved by referring
> to pictures elsewhere in the file system, this can be a nuisance when
> projects are being developed on multiple machines over multiple sites.
> For me at least, using the .sla files as a container that includes all a
> documents images would be a huge benefit.

The "answer" to this is to use File > Collect for Output, which will
keep everything together. Moving things around is generally not so good
an idea anyway, but Collect for Output allows for some collaborative
work. I think it would help if Scribus used absolute paths for finding
images, but it uses relative ones.
> The other thing that would be really great would be checking spelling as
> you type.I did some searching in the archives, and I appreciate that a
> view has been taken that the normal work flow will be develop a document
> in something like Open Office, then import the text to Scribus.  While
> I'm sure this can work well, and is perceived by some as the
> 'ideologically sound' approach, it takes little account of of document
> development and rework.
>
> For myself, I tend to develop documents in the DTP environment, laying
> out a 'storyboard' of pictures, then entering text around them,
> adjusting the layout as the art and text coalesce.  For me, 'spell check
> as you type' would be a huge benefit.  Even if the purists think I'm
> doing it all wrong, it works brilliantly for me !

This keeps coming up, and I'm pretty sure there is a feature request for
this. I wouldn't mind just seeing a possibly misspelled word underlined
like some programs do. For those who really need spell checking,
entering text with an outside editor for that part, then importing to
Scribus is a workaround.

Greg