[Scribus] Not sure if I NEED Scribus. . .

Keywan Najafi Tonekaboni lists
Tue Sep 11 10:46:06 CEST 2007

dax702 schrieb:
> Aaahhh more software? What are LyX and TeX ? Is this more DTP stuff that I'm
> not aware of? Do I need to be aware of it?

Hi,

first. Don't panic :D

TeX is a typesetting system, a "programming language" for typesetting.
But I guess the recommendation was for LaTeX, which is much easier, but
more inflexible. It's built up TeX and is for "normal" people.... :D You
just write your text and structure it and push a button and got a well
designed, clean document...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LaTeX

LyX is even more simple then LaTeX and again a bit more inflexible then
LaTeX. It's easy to learn and has a good built-in Howto. LaTex is a
little bit like HTML, but LyX is more like Word. I think it's combine
the advantages of easy to use wordprocessors like Word with the
advantages of structured documents created with LaTeX.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LyX

I wrote my first homework for the university with LyX and switched later
to LaTeX. Here an example of a document I created with LaTeX. You got
nearly similar results with LyX.

http://www.prometoys.net/downloads/seminararbeit_behavior_ecology_view.pdf

Regards,

Keywan

P.S.: Sorry for the maybe imprecise explanations, but I want to keep
them easy.