[Scribus] Problems loading text into Scribus

David Bodwell mazbook
Tue Sep 11 02:30:04 CEST 2007

Christoph,

No, both the Word HTML file and the OO.org HTML file correctly have the footnotes at the end.  It's when they are loaded into a Scribus text box file that the OO.org HTML file gets garbled.  Only the Word HTML file is imported correctly.

Good suggestion about the LaTeX and LyX programs.  Maybe a typesetting program is what I need rather than a layout program like Scribus.

Thanks for the advice,

David Bodwell
Editorial Mazatl?n

----- Original Message ----
From: Christoph Sch?fer <christoph-schaefer at gmx.de>
To: scribus at nashi.altmuehlnet.de
Sent: Monday, September 10, 2007 6:25:08 PM
Subject: Re: [Scribus] Problems loading text into Scribus

Am Montag, 10. September 2007 00:18 schrieb David Bodwell:
> Thanks, Adreas and BOTH Craigs.  I haven't tried the v1.3.3.10svn yet, but
> Andreas' work around using HTML works quite well?IF you create the HTML
> document from a Microsoft Word .doc file, using Word, rather than from an
> OpenOffice.org .odt file using OpenOffice.orgWriter.  Both HTML file look
> good, but only the Word created one imports properly into Scribus.
>
> Now, if there was some way to keep those footnotes on the correct page.
> The final published version of the work is for popular reading and the
> general public does NOT flip to the back to read footnotes as the scholarly
> community does.

Hi David,

it seems there's a misconception here. Actually, the way OO.o does it, is
correct. In HTML, there's no such thing like a page break as you know it from
word processors. Therefore, converting footnotes to endnotes is the ONLY way
to handle them correctly. From a HTML "point of view", OO.o does it right,
while Word screws up the HTML badly (as expected).

As others have noted, Scribus doesn't support footnotes yet (QuarkXPress
doesn't either, unless you buy an extension). For the time being, use a word
processor or a typesetting software like LaTeX or LyX.

HTH

Christoph

Got a little couch potato?