[Scribus] Image frame doesn't make any sense to me

dax702 dax702
Wed Sep 5 09:27:45 CEST 2007

I thought I was clear but I guess not. I don't have any trouble with the EPS
import function.  As long as the technicalities of such EPS are acceptable,
then everything is fine.  The graphic imports at the correct size I expect
it AND, majorly important point here - it's clear on the screen for me at
100%.  So the original problem was that the EPS I was trying to import from
the music software simply wasn't supported because of some font issue.
That's fine, that I understand.  So I found my own work around (opening the
EPS in Acrobat and re-saving it as an EPS which opened fine in Scribus)

Before finding that EPS solution, I started fiddling around with my other
options, namely PNG, TIFF and BMP.  The problem that happens is simply this:
These music images are to span the width of the page, within the margins, so
I click "I" for image frame and I'm given the frame drawing tool.  So I drag
a box with the mouse to make a frame close to what I think th size should be
(having to draw out an arbitrary size frame close to what I *think* it
should be is dumb to me)  Then I get the image and it places it.  If I've
drawn the frame big enough, then it's ok.  If the frame drawn was too small,
sometimes when you go to resize the frame, then the picture doesn't fill the
whole frame or just does odd things with the image size.  TIFF seems to work
better for some reason than PNG.  But it appears so far to me that any
non-vector image (of sheet music at least) is NOT legible on the screen at
100% (see my post in the other topic for screen shot) and thus cannot be
worked with when assembling a book and I need to see these exercises quickly
and as they are going to appear, generally, in context with the rest of the
book.

Perhaps I'm just used to web and video where things need to be exact, web
more so than video.  If I save an image in Photoshop that's 3"x5" then when
I put it on the page in Scribus, you can be sure that I want it at 3"x5" and
I shouldn't have to guestimate this by drawing a frame first IF I don't want
to.  It just makes a lot more sense.  Image frames have their place, and
what I'm suggesting has its place too, especially for these types of music
images. I set my margins in Sibelius so that the image would fall exactly
into the margins in Scribus and it doesn't, and that's annoying.  So again,
if I don't want to draw an image frame in order to place an image, then I
shouldn't have to.  That's why I was soooooo intent on getting the EPS
import to work because there was no image frame drawing step involved.  I
clicked import, boom, it's on the page.  All I have to do is move it to
where I want and I'm done.  And thank god I got that to work otherwise I
would have abandon Scribus entirely, image frame was too frustrating and no
matter what you put into that frame, it's not legible on the screen..