[Scribus] getting started with colour management

jrm jrm
Sat Oct 27 23:10:34 CEST 2007

It seems to be standard advice, when setting up colour management,
to set the monitor to high contrast.  When I do this, much of
the text on my monitor is fuzzier and harder to read.  Is this
normal?  (This is with the X Window System on an older LCD
model, an NEC MultiSync LCD 1850E.)

Another thing I've never understood is why, with colour management
turned off, graphics have been looking quite different in
Gimp 2.2 as compared with Scribus 1.3.  For example, I have some
TIFF files with a red that shows very bright in Gimp but
considerably darker in Scribus.  I'm *guessing* that Gimp and
Scribus have been implicitly defaulting to quite different
colour profiles, but I don't even know whether that's a sensible
way of phrasing it.

I've got the vague idea that most software assumes the monitor
profile would be some flavour of sRGB, with *which* flavour
being application dependent.  If I knew what Scribus assumes,
then I'd know how to choose a "no-op" monitor profile matching
the default assumption.  The colour management stuff has got me
pretty confused, so maybe I missed something in the Scribus documentation?

Best regards,
John (MacPhail)