[Scribus] Fwd: Re: Manual - first baby step

Yegor Jbanov yegor.jbanov
Fri Oct 26 19:22:21 CEST 2007

Have you considered exporting your wiki pages to PDF automatically, using a
Python script or a plugin?

Consider: Manual authors only need to maintain wiki pages. After a wiki page
is updated it is submitted to a Scribus script which generates the same
content in PDF using a standard manual layout.

To do that Scribus would have to be running and waiting for requests to
convert a wiki page to PDF. In more generic terms, Scribus would be running
a HTTP server and allow sending HTTP GET and HTTP POST requests, map these
requests to scripts, allow the script access Scripter API and generate an
HTTP response.

As a matter of fact I am looking at developing some server-side capabilities
for Scribus, possibly in a form of a Python plugin (hopefully without C++).
I am currently looking for people interested in doing this. I can put down a
couple of specs for discussion. The team is currently working on separating
document manipulation logic from the GUI, but from what I understand this is
not part of the official roadmap, rather a natural evolution towards a
better design. So for the time being it would be nice to have an ability to
run an HTTP server from within Scribus in GUI mode.

Let me know if you are interested.

Thanks,

Yegor