[Scribus] Manual

John Culleton john
Thu Oct 25 19:43:39 CEST 2007

On Saturday 20 October 2007 09:50:44 am Gregory Pittman wrote:
> jeff Weir wrote:
> > Does anyone know of a PDF format manual for scribus that I could print
> > out and carry with me?
>
> This is perhaps a paradox with Scribus, in that a project designed to
> make PDFs does not have a manual in its own or in PDF format. Beyond
> that, I think one would have to say that the value of printing out and
> carrying around with you the current online manual would be either
> unnecessary or largely unhelpful. The wiki is where much of the
> practical nuts-and-bolts kind of information is, and unfortunately the
> wiki structure does not print well from most, perhaps all browsers, with
> many graphics misplaced or missing altogether.
>
> This page:
> http://wiki.scribus.net/index.php/Index
> may help for some questions if the overall structure of the wiki seems
> like trying to decide which wildebeest to pick out of the large herd of
> wiki articles.
>
> On a practical note, I would say that users of Scribus benefit greatly
> from simply using it, since once you get into the mindset of its
> operation, you can manage quite well, with the episodic orientation from
> the wiki and other sources.
>
> Greg

> Need personalized email and website? Look no further. It's easy
> with Doteasy $0 Web Hosting! Learn more at www.doteasy.com

The Wiki has this problem, there is no segregation of articles by version
used.  Comments directed to an earlier version may be confusing/inapplicable
to a later version.  I don't underestimate the difficulties of creating a
manual. I hope others don't underestimate the need for one however.

Here is a possiblity. I use the free program suite TeX. The software is free
and the maintainers unpaid. But I have bought several books relating to TeX.
Those authors were compensated.  Perhaps if someone wrote a book and made it
available in ebook form for a fee then the rest of us could pay and print
locally.  As I recall this was done for Inkscape.  Or it coud be produced in
paperback form.

--
John Culleton
Want to know what I really think?