[Scribus] Manual - first baby step

William F. Maddock billsey
Tue Oct 23 17:25:29 CEST 2007

-----Original Message-----

snip...

>Appreciate the feedback. Some questions that run through my own mind are
>the following:
>
>Do we need a "best" format? If we supply both a PDF and the .sla file,
>users can modify to whatever extent they feel suits them.
>
>Is fit the most important thing? To my mind, readability (a bit
>different from legibility) is a key issue, and that is the main reason I
>put in the paragraph breaks -- of course, we're working with a
>full-featured DTP program ;-), so we can certainly narrow these
>paragraph breaks without eliminating them. This is 11.5pt in the body,
>and 11pt, perhaps lower would still be legible and likely allow for a
>binding margin. This page is about as crowded, maybe more crowded than I
>anticipate others will be. I set a goal of making this intro no more
>than a single page, since it is after all, /just/ an intro, nothing
>more. It will be good to find out if those from the A4 world have
>problems when they fit US Letter to their formats...
>
>Thanks again, keep the comments coming.

What I'm thinking, really, is that if when deciding on margins, we keep in mind A4 width (pulling back approx. .05 inch from these "mental edges") and US Letter length (pulling back 0.25 inch from these "mental edges") the same document should print easily under both page formats, making it a bit easier on the end user when they go to print. Pulling back 0.5 inch from both sides should eliminate any need for double-sided master pages as well.