[Scribus] Manual

Christoph Schäfer christoph-schaefer
Sat Oct 20 20:02:08 CEST 2007

Am Samstag, 20. Oktober 2007 19:00:14 schrieb william f.maddock:
> On Oct 20, 2007, at 10:47 AM, Gregory Pittman wrote:
> > William F. Maddock wrote:

Actually it's not about finding excuses. The point is: people are working hard
(and without being paid, I might add) to provide you the software and the
documentation. For free. Their time is limited, and offering documentation on
a Website or a Wiki is much easier than producing a PDF. However, the
documentation is available under licenses that allow you to produce a PDF and
even distribute it. That's what open source is about: if you're missing
something, you are free to create it yourself. Open source is about
participation, not just getting something for free (as in beer). You're
actually complaining that others who work for free don't give you even more
for free. And, yes, that's impolite and ungrateful.

If you want a printed manual, you can buy one (at least in my country). You
can convert the available documentation into a printer friendly or write one
yourself from scratch.

Finally, let me note that you can't compare Scribus to OO.o. OO.o is a huge
project with many important companies involved and a much larger user base.
Comparing both projects is simply unfair. And as I said above, if you don't
like it as it is, you're free to contribute and to fix the issue. Actually
that's what I'm doing. I'm writing a manual, and once it's finished, it will
be available as PDF and as HTML for inclusion in the help browser. But you
don't write a manual overnight.

Regards

Christoph