[Scribus] Is 1.3.4 stable enough

Martin Costabel costabel
Fri Oct 19 10:09:43 CEST 2007

Marc Sabatella wrote:
[]
>> It seems as if Scribus developers get the blame for distros packaging
>> 1.3.4 as a stable version even though it isn't?

You can't blame the distros, either, given the way how 1.3.4 was
announced originally:
<http://nashi.altmuehlnet.de/pipermail/scribus/2007-May/024052.html>

> Hmm.  I don't think I am "blaming" anyone for anything, and I certainly
> don't mean to imply that I think the developers are deliberately trying to
> mislead folks.  I am simply trying to point out that, to someone not already
> familiar with the inner workings of this project, it is easy to develop some
> wrong idea about 1.3.4.  Not because the site contains any out and out lies,
> but just because it isn't very clear.  It is true that it is "obvious"
> something is a bit odd.  But frankly, the impression I got was not "hmm, I
> guess 1.3.4 must be unstable", but rather, "hmm, I guess the developers are
> too busy to really update the web site to make the new version easier to
> obtain".  Obviously, the wrong conclusion, but again, there is nothing
> specific on the web site to prevent that sort of misunderstanding.

Actually, I don't think you were misunderstanding anything. When 1.3.4
was first announced, it was *not* announced as a development release
that should be used with care, but as *the* new release. Only later,
when it turned out that it was not as bug-free as the previous
development releases had been, were the words "new developement" [sic]
included into the announcement on the web site.

 From the discussion it has become clear that 1.3.4 is not an actual
development release, but it still can serve for beta-testing some of the
new features in the development branch 1.3.5svn which hasn't seen a
release so far.

--
Martin