[Scribus] Is 1.3.4 stable enough

Marc Sabatella marc
Thu Oct 18 21:01:47 CEST 2007

> What site did you download from?

sourceforge.net - a site with which I am reasonably familiar and generally
trust.  I found it natural to turn there when more information on the 1.3.4
release was not to be found on scribus.net, and indeed, the 1.3.4 page on
the scribus site specifically references this as the place to download from.
I thought it quite odd that there wasn't even a link, just a plain text
reference to the URL, but see below.

> Go to www.scribus.net, click Downloads and you get to a page where 1.3.4
> doesn't even show...
>
> It seems as if Scribus developers get the blame for distros packaging
> 1.3.4 as a stable version even though it isn't?

Hmm.  I don't think I am "blaming" anyone for anything, and I certainly
don't mean to imply that I think the developers are deliberately trying to
mislead folks.  I am simply trying to point out that, to someone not already
familiar with the inner workings of this project, it is easy to develop some
wrong idea about 1.3.4.  Not because the site contains any out and out lies,
but just because it isn't very clear.  It is true that it is "obvious"
something is a bit odd.  But frankly, the impression I got was not "hmm, I
guess 1.3.4 must be unstable", but rather, "hmm, I guess the developers are
too busy to really update the web site to make the new version easier to
obtain".  Obviously, the wrong conclusion, but again, there is nothing
specific on the web site to prevent that sort of misunderstanding.

Let me try to put you in the shoes of someone just coming upon Scribus
relatively recently:

I actually first downloaded a 1.3.3.x version a years or two ago.  My first
act was to create an image frame, my second was to try to drag and drop an
image into it.  Needless to say, that didn't work.  After loading my desired
image "manually", I then attempted to resize it to fit my frame, and was
unable to figure out how to do this, despite having experience with other
DTP applications.  So I put it aside.  Eventually I checked out the
tutorials on the wiki site and learned about the all-important Properties
window, and from there I was able to start using the application - mostly
for very small projects (flyers, etc).  However, I note that on the main
Scribus page, it mentions "substantial core code changes" coming with 1.3.4,
and on the wiki site, there are numerous references to file format changes
that would become more settled in the 1.3.4 time frame.  Between that and
the (inexplicable to me) lack of drag & drop support, the overall impression
of the software I got was - "has potential, but apparently, I should wait
for 1.3.4 to come along before doing any serious work".

So over the next few months, I would check scribus.net periodically to see
if 1.3.4 had been released yet.  The fact that it was quite a while from the
time I first learned of the plans for "substantial core code changes" and
the file format changes to the time 1.3.4 was actually released suggested to
me that this was essentially a fairly major release.  The fact that
scribus.net site did not make actually downloading this release easy was, as
I mentioned, somewhat perplexing, but I assumed the developers were more
concerned with maintaining the software than maintaining the site.  After
all, a number of open source projects really live their life on sourceforge.
Not that sourceforge was a fountain of information, either, and the fact
that the 1.3.4 release was labeled scribus-devel was another potential clue
that maybe this was not the stable release I had been awaiting  - but again,
in the absence of any clear explanation f the status, I honestly didn't know
*what* to think.

So I download it, and it seemed to work.  Luckily, I didn't dive right in to
a major project, and by the time I needed to start working on my current
project, I was just beginning to figure out (by browsing the wiki and this
mailing list) what the story actually was.

But I guess my point is, a few sentences added to the scribus.net main page
would have saved me an awful lot of confusion, and quite apparently, I am
not alone in feeling this way.  That said, I would probably still have
chosen to use 1.3.4 for this project.

Marc Sabatella
marc at outsideshore.com