[Scribus] Is 1.3.4 stable enough

Stewart Noy windrunner
Wed Oct 17 16:14:45 CEST 2007

Gregory Pittman wrote:

> Stewart Noy wrote:
>>
>> Gregory Pittman wrote:
>>
>>> If you can get 1.3.5svn up and running, you might make your book in
>>> 1.3.3.9
>>> or 1.3.3.10svn, then load a copy into 1.3.5svn (or 1.3.4) to see how it
>>> looks. A big issue with the transition to 1.3.4+ is a different handling
>>> of text and styles.
>>>

>> What's the point of opening a 1.3.3.9 file in 1.3.4 though, as it looks
>> nothing like the original in 1.3.3.9. especially if you have a lengthy
>> book
>> with large amounts of text. There will be some substantial work to do in
>> getting it to look like the original.
>>
> Exactly my point. Nonetheless we have seen and will continue to see
> those who, despite being advised to wait before using 1.3.4+ do it
> anyway. It seems the best we can do is to try to keep them from doing a
> lot of work in unstable versions only to reach a frustrating dead-end
> and not be able to load the file into the stable version. Unfortunately
> there are many tantalizing elements in the unstable versions, which is
> part of the fatal attraction, I guess.
>
> Greg

I guess I can understand if you choose to start a project in 1.3.4, with the
lure of all the extra juicy features and all. But if you start in 1.3.3.9
then I would advise staying there.
Yeah I agree that it is great for testing and even the odd shorter project,
and does also gives us a taste of what's to expect.

Stewart