[Scribus] acroread 8 landscape printing

Gregory Pittman gpittman
Thu Oct 11 22:29:19 CEST 2007

Frank Cox wrote:
> On Thu, 11 Oct 2007 13:31:56 -0400
> Gregory Pittman <gpittman at iglou.com> wrote:
>

>> I was able to get it to print landscape on Fedora 7 by unclicking Auto
>> Rotate,
>> then clicking Properties button and adding '-o landscape' to the command
>> -- added as the first option, don't know if that makes a difference.
>>

> When I print my test pdf using those steps it does indeed come out in landscape
> mode, but there is a 3.25 inch space between the left-hand side of the paper
> and the first T.  In other words, the whole thing appears to be shifted about
> two inches to the right and doesn't fit on the sheet properly.  If I had a
> longer word that extended closer to the right hand side of the sheet it would
> have been cut off.

I've just been trying this with my Adobe Reader v7.08 at home, and it
seems it is at least as screwed up as v8 (this is also on Fedora 7).
Check this out:
When I print with landscape selected, and with the '-o landscape'
option, printing four pages of a document had the first page printing
portrait but upside down (ie, the bottom of the page came out of the
printer first -- top of the printed matter near the top of the paper),
the second landscape rotated 90 degrees clockwise toward the right-hand
margin of the printed material, the third came out rotated another 90
degrees clockwise, in other words printed portrait right-side up with
the bottom margin of the printed page against the bottom of the paper,
and the fourth was again rotated 90 degrees from that in somewhere near
the middle of the paper. I guess if I printed more pages each would keep
rotating 90 degrees and otherwise migrating its position on the paper as
well!

Conclusion: Adobe Reader landscape printing in Linux, at least on Fedora
7, is hopelessly screwed up in either versions 7.x or 8.x.
Alternative Forrest Gump conclusion: "Adobe Reader landscape printing is
like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're going to get."

Greg