[Scribus] Example of what I would like to do

Louis Desjardins louis.desjardins
Sat Oct 6 16:01:45 CEST 2007

2007/10/6, stu seven <stu7seven at gmail.com>:

> +     I'd like to add to this... what I've seen on the list several times
> has been simply the problem of  said business is already set up to
> use expensive apps, or, for instance, their printer accepts only
> output from quark/photoshop/etc... so, however easy it might be to
> duplicate the look of your example pages, you might find yourself
> out on the street if you pushed them into something which suddenly
> fell apart - and you dont want that Im sure.

Hi,

I agree we have read that many times on this list. However, any
knowledgeable prepress people put in front of a PDF done by Scribus ?
providing the fonts are embedded and the pics are at the right resolution ?
will agree that this file is fine for production. We have tested it so many
times without any flaws over the last 3 years that I can confirm this. I
know the developpers are making sure the PDFs made with Scribus meet the
high-end grade and users can work in full confidence.

I believe it is not that important to mention what tool was used to produce
the PDF (you'd only draw attention on a detail of no importance) until you
face a very specific workflow, which I can't think of at the moment. A PDF
made by Scribus will go through modern RIPs like a breeze.

One thing: it is worth mentionning that the trapping needs to be done. But
this is the case with 99 % of the job we receive at our office, no matter
which tool was used to achieve the work. Graphic designers simply don't care
about trapping. Not their playing ground!

     It is, again, a situation which pops up here a lot, and I think
> really, until some open source printing people start making services
> available, these trivial seeming cross over problems will continue to
> present open source users with major headaches.

Just want to mention that, most of the time, headaches for production people
are caused by people of good will coming at us with a mostly unprecise
project, that they have done themselves, without caring enough about the
downstream issues. It costs not much to ask questions before entering a
design process and people should always start by the end, which is the real
beginning of any printed work. Size? Colors? Bleed? Resolution? Color space?
Binding? etc. All these need to be addressed before hitting the "New
document" menu. I've said it many times on this list, it's all about
communication!

I don't think Open Source is in cause here. But if in the conversation
between the printer and the designer Open Source comes on the table, an
unaware printer might just jump on the occasion and find this a good excuse
to reject the job or to raise warnings that he would otherwise not have
thought mentionning.

Louis