[Scribus] SVN Trunk is now buildable with cmake on win32

Gregory Pittman gpittman
Thu Oct 4 22:23:03 CEST 2007

Craig Ringer wrote:
> Hi folks
>
> There have been repeated questions here about how to build Scribus for
> Windows, and we've never been able to give a particularly satisfactory
> answer because it's involved a non-public version of Qt, some hand-built
> Visual Studio projects and a bit of fiddling.
>
> Thanks to Jean Ghali's great work on the win32 port, TrollTech's recent
> decision to support Qt/Win Open Source with Visual Studio, and some
> recent enhancements to the CMake build system used in Scribus, it's now
> much easier to build Scribus for Windows. You can do a build using only
> the main svn trunk source distribution and unmodified library sources.
> Cairo is still rather tricky, but Arthur works out of the box and with a
> canned Cairo library cairo is similarly simple to use with Scribus.
>
> This support is only in svn trunk. It will never be backported to
> 1.3.3.x or 1.3.4 because these versions do not use Qt 4 and there is no
> stable public version of Qt 3 for Windows. As such, it's not much good
> for building a copy of Scribus that you'll want to use for real work
> just yet. On the other hand, if you want to get into Scribus development
> and contribute but you're only used to working on Windows with Visual
> Studio or your interest is in improving win32 specific functionality, it
> might be an opportunity to get involved.
>
> To get started, you'll need to check out scribus svn trunk (see
> www.scribus.net) and read BUILDING_win32.txt . These instructions are
> ... rough ... but should cover the basics if you're used to working on
> Windows. They will be improved.
>
> If you decide to give it a go and have problems, consider dropping in on
> IRC or asking for help here. Just remember to include FULL ERROR
> MESSAGES, commands run, Visual Studio version, etc if you do ask for help.

Also, I'd like to update (or others with a wiki account can do it
themselves) this Wiki page:
http://wiki.scribus.net/index.php/Building_Scribus_on_Windows
I've already added Craig's note to the page, and want to try to add as
much specific information as I can to help those who want to build on Win32.

Send corrections or additions to the List or me dircctly.
Thanks.
Greg