[Scribus] Can't use text in Scribus, can't select font.

Gregory Pittman gpittman
Mon Oct 1 14:45:35 CEST 2007

Philipp Klaus Krause wrote:
> I have a problem with text frames in new documents.
>
> When I create a new text frame and try to edit text it won't let me. The
> font dropdown box doesn't display a selected font. When I click the
> dropdown box I see all the installed fonts, but clicking on one just
> closes the dropdown box without activating the selected font.

Not sure I follow you. Are you using Story Editor to enter text? Maybe
check out:
http://wiki.scribus.net/index.php/Working_with_text_frames
> If I load some text from a file it shows up correctly in the edit text
> dialog, but in Scribus all the characters are displayed as squares instead.

This is what happens when your font does not have the characters
contained in the frame. Maybe Scribus is not finding fonts properly?
> On the console some "QComboBox::changeItem: (fontStyle) Index 0 out of
> range" error messages are displayed.
>
> I use the scribus-ng package from Debian (Scribus 1.3.4) on a 64 Bit system.
>
> If I open an old document (created using the same Scribus version on my
> 32 Bit notebook before it broke) everything works, I can add text
> frames, edit the text, etc.

I think you need a 64-bit version of Scribus...

Greg