[Scribus] Scribus for Scientific Posters?

Gregory Pittman gpittman
Fri Nov 30 15:28:49 CET 2007

Lars Behrens wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I'm working in a physical institute here.
>
> What's driving me (and them) insane is the scientists using OOo or Power Point
> for creating A0 posters for conferences.
>
> So I'm thinking of introducing the physics to Scribus as a poster creation
> application, but I'm not sure if Scribus is yet far enough for that.
>
> What concerns me is:
>
> * Formulas

One thing you're not saying is whether these posters are done as one
large in-line printing process or whether it is made up of small
components attached to a board of some sort. If it's the latter, LaTeX
itself is by far the best way to go -- just pull out the formula, print
on a separate page.
Otherwise, as has been said, the ability to use LaTex in frames in
1.3.5svn is coming along nicely -- still you will have to learn formula
creation in LaTeX.
> As far as I can see, there is still no possibility in the actual version of
> Scribus (SuSE 10.2 here, Scribus 1.3.3.4-22) for formula creation, how about
> the tex frame thing? Fiddling around with OOo to create formulas won't seem
> very attractive to the scientists. Any other tips?
>
> * Lists

You will probably get more out of the video that Tsoots did and put
links to on the wiki:
http://wiki.scribus.net/index.php/Scribus_Video_Tutorials#Creating_bullet_lists

> So my question to you guys is if you have any hints for me. Should I take the
> effort or is that too risky (I don't want to have 15 people attempting to tar
> and feather me two days before the next conference because they don't get
> their posters done).
>
> How about the newer versions of Scribus are things better there, so that an
> installation of a newer version would be worthwhile?

See above for LaTeX, but otherwise 1.3.3.10svn is the best bet.
IMPORTANT: you will not be able to import a file created in 1.3.5svn
into 1.3.3.10! (but reverse is Ok) Do NOT use 1.3.4 -- just too
problematic, all of the fixes have gone into 1.3.5.svn. Also read info
on 1.3.5svn - it requires qt4.

Overall, I would suggest starting small (maybe just one), since anyway
you go there is a learning curve with Scribus as you get used to its
approach to these kinds of projects. Once you get the hang of it, I
think you will find that so many things become much easier to achieve
professional-looking results.

Greg