[Scribus] Scribus for Scientific Posters?

Lars Behrens lars.behrens
Fri Nov 30 09:13:16 CET 2007

Hi there,

I'm working in a physical institute here.

What's driving me (and them) insane is the scientists using OOo or Power Point
for creating A0 posters for conferences.

So I'm thinking of introducing the physics to Scribus as a poster creation
application, but I'm not sure if Scribus is yet far enough for that.

What concerns me is:

* Formulas

As far as I can see, there is still no possibility in the actual version of
Scribus (SuSE 10.2 here, Scribus 1.3.3.4-22) for formula creation, how about
the tex frame thing? Fiddling around with OOo to create formulas won't seem
very attractive to the scientists. Any other tips?

* Lists

Is this still the only way to create lists:
http://wiki.scribus.net/index.php/How_to_create_lists_in_scribus_1.2x
Not sure, if the guys will dig that or if it will seem too complicated to
them...

* Undo/redo

In the actual version this is still not satisfiyng...

* Any other thing, which I still don't see but which will show up when time
gets too short for a workaround :-)

So my question to you guys is if you have any hints for me. Should I take the
effort or is that too risky (I don't want to have 15 people attempting to tar
and feather me two days before the next conference because they don't get
their posters done).

How about the newer versions of Scribus are things better there, so that an
installation of a newer version would be worthwhile?

TIA for your input!

Cheerz Lars