[Scribus] Welcome to the "Scribus" mailing list

Oleksandr Moskalenko malex
Fri Nov 16 06:25:17 CET 2007

* Frank Cox <melville.theatre at gmail.com> [2007-11-15 15:40:09 -0600]:

> On Thu, 15 Nov 2007 07:46:04 -0500
> Gregory Pittman <gpittman at iglou.com> wrote:
>
> > This is why we suggest people not use 1.3.4+ unless they understand
> > these and other issues.
>
> Unfortunately, a lot of *distributions* don't seem to know that.
>
> I just installed F8/i86_64 on this computer and when I told it to install
> Scribus I got 1.3.4.  To get 1.3.3.9 I had to compile it myself.
>
> A chap who advertises on my theatre flyer just sent me his copy for the
> December flyer.  It didn't open.  I checked what he sent me, it's from 1.3.4.
> I called him to ask what's what, and he said that his Ubuntu had just done an
> automatic update and he got 1.3.4 from that, by magic.  I told him to back it
> off again which he did and all is well.
>
> But how many other folks will be bitten by that as well....

Probably all of those who upgrade with abandon. There is a reason why every
decent distribution has a mechanism to show contents of README/NEWS/Changelog
provided by the maintainer during an upgrade. I for one put a warning into the
changelog when I shuffled versions between scribus and scribus-ng debian
packages. Apparently, it wasn't enough. So, I added a NEWS file that should
provide another warning. What else should be done? People got to stay with the
stable package if they are not in a real need of cutting-edge features that
the experimental version provides, but which requires reading of changelogs
and production of bug reports. If your friend had kept to the "scribus"
package on Ubuntu he'd have gone from 1.2.5 to 1.3.3.9 and wouldn't missed a
bit. I think he jumped ship to scribus-ng at some point when it was tracking
1.3.3.x branch and that got him in trouble when scribus-ng went to 1.3.4.

Cheers,

Alex.