[Scribus] Text difficulties

James King jlking3
Wed Nov 14 02:46:03 CET 2007

(walks up to microphone)

Hi, My name is James King, and I am a Pagemaker user.

(group responds) Hi Lee!

(but no longer, now that I've switched to Scribus)

Ok, now that I've made my confession, I'll explain my situation.

I made the switch to Scribus just recently, having originally used
Pagemaker to typeset a piano method book. I am in the process of
redoing my work (and improving on it) in Scribus. However, I find
that when I work with the style sheets in the text editor, sometimes
the changes don't come out right, and when I go to the properties
menu, there is something different yet again. I am expending a lot of
effort with the text, and wonder if I'm doing something wrong
regarding setting everything up correctly. Always, when I go to edit
text, the style will have a plus sign after it, even if nothing was
changed from the original style. I will select the style again,
refresh the text window (of course there are no changes in
appearance) but then when I go back to check, there's that plus sign
again, which leads me to think that something changed somewhere.
Sometimes, if I switch between properties and the style edit, text
will flip between different fonts , or if I change font sizes within
properties to make the font smaller so everything fits in the box,
only the text that was originally displaying in the box gets sized
down. The remainder is at the old size.

If people want to see the original piano book (so one can see what
I'm attempting to recreate in Scribus), it's located at http://
download.yousendit.com/32ED8FB23321760F for the next 7 days or 100
downloads, whichever comes first. I released it under the GNU FDL, so
I thought that reconstructing (and improving) the original in Scribus
might help stimulate open source work on the project.

Thanks in advance for everyone's help. I'm excited about using Scribus.

James King