[Scribus] PDF importing quality

Conal Jardine conal
Fri Nov 9 18:00:18 CET 2007

On Fri, 2007-11-09 at 15:34 +0200, Ville Aakko wrote:
> some PDF's (especially the fonts) just look a lot worse on
> monitor after rasterisation. They also look worse when printed, but
> luckily, not so much (I went to the print house we're working with and
> did some test prints). but as Scribus can't import PDF's as vector
> graphics just yet, so this is something I'll have to live with.

I have also come to this conclusion.

As I explained in a previous post, I currently try importing PDF adverts
to our newspaper using (file/import ps/eps). This sometimes works, but
more often we have to rasterize them.

Soon, our advert design is going to be outsourced. My question is:

Do we ask the design house to supply us with PDF's or TIFF's?

What I mean is, can they make a TIFF with their shiny commercial
software that will print better after importing into Scribus, than a
rasterized PDF would?

One day in the bright future we will be able to export PDF's from a
program like Gimp and import them into Scribus. Thus producing snazzy
graphics with crisp text (though I'd like to point out that I am VERY
grateful for what we have already got with open source software!)

Thanks in advance,

Conal