[Scribus] How I can Update Scribus

Craig Ringer craig
Sat May 19 14:03:01 CEST 2007

Siipola Jari wrote:
> UPDATE SCRIBUS (before: pictures loaded green)
> excuse me, but I dont know wery much about computers - I just use programs on my work. At last time when I Install Scribus 1.3.3.2 it was quite difficult and Ghostscript is still out of my procram. So, how I can update my Scibus and what I need? From web I found this thee choise:
> http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=125235&package_id=136924
> scribus-1.3.3.9.tar.bz2  size 13591901 2
> scribus-1.3.3.9.tar.bz2.sig  size 189
> scribus-1.3.3.9-win32-install.exe  size 19271412

Just so you know, it's usually polite to remind people what operating
system and version you're using when you're starting a new thread - at
least one about about things like upgrades. In this case I assume you're
using a Mac, and luckily the version doesn't matter too much for this.
That's not true for everything.

You've already found the download and install instructions. However,
there is not yet a build of 1.3.3.9 for Mac OS X, which is why it does
not appear in the list. The newest version that appears to be ready for
Mac OS X is 1.3.3.8 . Click the "1.3.3.8" link on the sourceforge
download page and you'll see:

 	Scribus-Aqua-1.3.3.8.tar.bz2
 	Ghostscript-8.50-macosx.tar.bz2

> I also wonder whyin this page you recommend version 1.3.3.2 if it is old
> http://www.scribus.net/index.php?name=Sections&req=viewarticle&artid=3&page=1

There does indeed seem to be an outdated download link for Mac OS X
(Aqua) that needs updating. Thankyou.

> I know other peoples who try Install Sribus to Mac and not succeed.

Aa, OK, you're using a mac. Thought you might be since you were having
problems with Ghostscript.

> -maybe it good idea put simple, step by step orders to net.

I think you're right. The files on sourceforge don't seem to match the
install instructions, in that the library download bundles aren't on
sf.net (I assume they're bundled with Scribus now?) . It looks like that
page could indeed use a bit of a simplification to get rid of any
outdated information and streamline it a bit.

In the longer term, it might be nice to use a disk image based
distribution like Mac users tend to be used to, as well. (Wonder if
CPack can make them?).

For a long time only one member of the team had regular access to a mac
(well, I had access to lots of prehistoric macs, but nothing modern or
useful). There are now a couple of people with macs, so if anyone has
time in amongst the push to get 1.3.4 and successors released we might
see some Mac OS X packaging improvements. Maybe.

--
Craig Ringer