[Scribus] upgrade to 1.3.4cvs for debian AMD64 : outch !

avox avox
Sun May 6 17:11:26 CEST 2007

aurelien-7 wrote:

> Hi !
>
> I just work today on the new AMD 64 package for debian amd64 sid, which
> is 1.3.4cvs.
>
> Don't know if it comes from my way to create and manage a document, but
> it's quite dangerous to work on a former document with this new version.
> I mean, it works, but Texte Styles, Properties, etc. don't work at all
> like they do, and in consequence, opening a document, and modifying just
> one line, I've had to take it back from scratch !

Style handling was totally rewritten in Scribus 1.3.4 "Anton". We urge all
users
to make copies of their old 1.3.3.x files before opening them in 1.3.4.

Probably the most confusing change is that styles are applied on several
levels now:
document level (that is the "Default ... Style"), story level (which you can
modify with
the properties palette when you select a frame in a chain of textframes),
paragraph level
and character level. When you open an old 1.3.3.x file in 1.3.4, most
formatting is applied
at the paragraph and character level. Since this overrides story level
formatting, it
is not possible to just select a frame and use the properties palette.
Instead you
have to enter text edit mode and select a range of characters, then either
apply the new
formatting, or use the style sweeper (the little broom icons) to reset all
formatting and
make the text pick up the style from the next upper level.

I hope I could make it somewhat clear. Feel free to ask for more details.

/Andreas