[Scribus] font artifacts on Scribus PDFs

Gustavo Homem gustavo
Sat May 5 12:51:28 CEST 2007

Hi,

> Hi Gustavo the above mentioned PDF seems to be nearly(?) ok in

If you used this one:

http://angulosolido.pt/brochuras/ag.pdf

it was updated to embbed the font.

The original one is here:

http://people.angulosolido.pt/~pessoa/print/ag.pdf

> Preview/OSX.
> Here's a screenshot:
>
> http://www.jonhagen.de/transfer/Test.png
> viewer: Preview/OSX - clean vertical beams
>
> http://www.jonhagen.de/transfer/Test2.png
> viewer: AR8, OSX 10.4.9 - some but not many fattened verticals
>
> http://www.jonhagen.de/transfer/Test3.png
> viewer: Preview/OSX - clean vertical beams
>
> May be a problem with AR or the AR Version?

I'm convinced that there is a problem with outlining on Scribus. If you zoom
it to a really close level, you'l see that vertical lines from other
characters are aliased whereas the "l" are just rectangles with aliasing.

> The fatting of vertical beams is a well (guess) known problem with AR
> and some fonts, I never marked down witch fonts "I and l"s are fattened.
> As far as I know and can remember it does not really matter if a font
> is converted to paths or not. Non-converted fonts show "better"
> results but not perfect ones.

No, it makes all the difference.

> BTW your Server is very very slow. It takes more than 5 minutes to dl
> the pdf, just to mention this :)

Maybe you were all downloading PDFs from there yesterday ? The server was
Scribus-ed :-)

Cheers
Gustavo

> cheers
> Jon

Angulo S?lido - Tecnologias de Informa??o
http://angulosolido.pt