[Scribus] font artifacts on Scribus PDFs

Christoph Schäfer christoph-schaefer
Fri May 4 17:32:48 CEST 2007

Am Freitag, 4. Mai 2007 16:43 schrieb Gustavo Homem:
> Hi,
>
> We created two brochures:
>
> http://people.angulosolido.pt/~pessoa/print/brochura_institucional.pdf
> http://angulosolido.pt/brochuras/ag.pdf
>
> with Scribus which printed quite nicely.
>
> However there are visual artifacts when viewing them on Adobe Reader
> affecting the character "l".
>
> Here is a screenshot of the problem:
>
> http://people.angulosolido.pt/~gustavo/scribus/probPDF/art-effects-l.png
>
> The problem doesn't show up on the print preview inside Scribus nor on real
> printing.
>
> The original file is here:
>
> http://people.angulosolido.pt/~gustavo/scribus/probPDF/ag.sla
>
> Notes:
>
> - Scribus allways outlines the font in question (Futura Lt Light) - it
> can't be embbeded
> - Zooming to 2400% on Adobe Reader we see that the "l"s seem to be outlined
> differently from other characters - it doesn't change with changing the
> "smooth line art" on Adobe Reader.
>
> What could be the problem here?
>
> Thanks!
> Gustavo

Hi Gustavo,

the issue has been discussed a hundred times or so. Some fonts, mostly sans
serif fonts, will look ugly in AR, especially "l" or "ll". But it's just a
screen effect. As you noticed, the pdf files print flawlessly.

As to outlining fonts, it seems you are working with OpenType fonts. OTF can't
be embedded in PDF files. They are outlined automatically. See:

http://docs.scribus.net/index.php?lang=fr&page=fonts1

HTH

Christoph