[Scribus] Printing from within Adobe Reader

Gregory Pittman gpittman
Wed May 2 19:45:28 CEST 2007

Nigel Ridley wrote:
> Nigel Ridley wrote:
>
>> John R. Culleton wrote:

>>> You don't state what OS or what printer. My guess is that your printer
>>> requires a non printing gripper edge. I would try this solution:
>>>
>>> 1. Set up the document to be slightly smaller than A4 by about 9pt all
>>> around. (I use 1/8 inch which is 9pt.)
>>> 2. Set up "bleed" space on one or all sides of that amount.
>>> 3. Design the document to fit between the slightly smaller margins.
>>> 4. Whether or not you still get the white edge, trim the paper on the
>>> side(s) giving you an unwanted margin.
>>>
>>> You can play with this by giving bleed on only one side etc.
>>>
>>> Bottom line most printers won't print to the absolute edge of the
>>> paper.  There are some photo printers which give you no margins but
>>> that is probably not what you are using.
>>>

>> I'm using Kubuntu Feisty Fawn (Linux) and an Epson Sylus CX3700
>>
>> I don't really want to have to trim the edges of the paper afterwards - so I will
>> 'experiment' some more with the different settings in the Adobe Reader print dialogue.
>>
>> Blessings,
>>
>> Nigel
>>

> I did some more testing and using the printer option 'Choose paper source by PDF
> page size' from within Adobe Reader 7 always prints in 'Portrait' orientation
> regardless of whether Portrait or Landscape is selected.
> If the 'Choose paper source by PDF page size' is disabled then printing in
> Landscape orientation works but with a thin white top border (297 x 209.9 instead
> of the real size of 297 x 210).
>
> Can I add the actual size 297 x 210 as a command line option under the
> 'Properties' section of the print dialogue? (this is using CUPS) - if so how exactly?
>
> Who do I file a bug with? This is Kubuntu Feisty Fawn with Adobe Reader 7 (acroread).

If it's a bug, it's either Adobe Reader or Ubuntu. If you put in custom
size you might try switching the dimensions: 210 x 297 instead.

Greg