[Scribus] Using TeX typesetting in Scribus

Hermann Kraus hermann
Wed May 2 14:28:02 CEST 2007

On Tue, 01 May 2007 16:41:30 +0200, J.Fine <J.Fine at open.ac.uk> wrote:

> I am the manager of the MathTran project:
>     http://www.mathtran.org
>
> MathTran now provides TeX typesetting as a web service.

Hello Jonathan,

thank you for this link. The idea of running TeX as a daemon is really
good and the processingtimes (usually <5ms) are really impressive! Just
one question: As far as I understand the limitation to plain tex is just
because it would be unsecure to use latex on a multiuser system. So would
it be possible to use latex? I think most users are used to latex and also
the existing tool rely on latex. But even if that is not possible it would
be a very cool thing to use this as it would provide a realtime preview.
When the basic support for formula-items is added I'll come back to you
and ask you about the real implementation. I noticed that it's written in
python. Even though scribus supports python there are issues when trying
to use it for gui so it might be required to port it to C++. But first the
basic support has to be ready and then we'll see how we can make it work.

Thanks again and best regards,

Hermann