[Scribus] Using TeX typesetting in Scribus

John R. Culleton john
Wed May 2 13:19:55 CEST 2007

On Wednesday 02 May 2007 06:27, avox wrote:
> Jonathan Fine-2 wrote:
> > Hello
> >
> > I am the manager of the MathTran project:
> >     http://www.mathtran.org
> >
> > MathTran now provides TeX typesetting as a web service.
> >
> > A friend pointed out to me your summer of code proposal:
> >     http://code.google.com/soc/scribus/about.html
> >
> > I think we should talk about this.  It should already be possible
> > for Scribus to use MathTran, although perhaps not with ideal
> > results. You might want to look at my EuroTeX 2005 paper:
> >     http://www.pytex.org/doc/index.html#eurotex2005
>
> I don't think we want math formulas in Scribus as a Webservice, but
> your TeX-as-callable-function approach looks interesting. Do you
> still recommend dvichop or could we use dvipng directly?
>
> The technique to produce bitmap formulas from LaTeX is quite
> standard since preview.sty came up (see Emacs-preview, LyX,
> others). Our goals are * achieve a smooth integration with Scribus
> * leave formulas editable
> * convert to outlines for PS/PDF export
> * allow selection of math fonts from Scribus
>
> Regards,
>
> /Andreas

IMO Scribus/TeX integration should not be limited to the traditional
LaTeX variant. I find either plain pdftex or Context variant more
flexible and less verbose. Of course if either dvi format or pdf
format is used as the common format between TeX and Scribus the
nature of the TeX variant may become irrelevant.
--
John Culleton
Able Indexing and Typesetting

Need personalized email and website? Look no further. It's easy
with Doteasy $0 Web Hosting! Learn more at www.doteasy.com