[Scribus] Using TeX typesetting in Scribus

avox avox
Wed May 2 12:27:00 CEST 2007

Jonathan Fine-2 wrote:

> Hello
>
> I am the manager of the MathTran project:
>     http://www.mathtran.org
>
> MathTran now provides TeX typesetting as a web service.
>
> A friend pointed out to me your summer of code proposal:
>     http://code.google.com/soc/scribus/about.html
>
> I think we should talk about this.  It should already be possible for
> Scribus to use MathTran, although perhaps not with ideal results. You
> might want to look at my EuroTeX 2005 paper:
>     http://www.pytex.org/doc/index.html#eurotex2005

I don't think we want math formulas in Scribus as a Webservice, but your
TeX-as-callable-function approach looks interesting. Do you still recommend
dvichop or could we use dvipng directly?

The technique to produce bitmap formulas from LaTeX is quite standard since
preview.sty came up (see Emacs-preview, LyX, others). Our goals are
* achieve a smooth integration with Scribus
* leave formulas editable
* convert to outlines for PS/PDF export
* allow selection of math fonts from Scribus

Regards,

/Andreas