[Scribus] 1.3.3.8 TrueType font problem in PDF ?

frank gaude' tanzen
Tue May 1 22:14:46 CEST 2007

John Beale wrote:
> note- If it helps, here is a simple file showing the font problem
> (as PDF and original SLA format used to create it).
>
> http://www.bealecorner.com/D30/misc/TT-test1.pdf
> http://www.bealecorner.com/D30/misc/TT-test1.sla
>
> John Beale wrote:
>
>> I am using Scribus 1.3.3.8 on WinXP SP2.  I generated a wedding
>> invitation using a TrueType font which looks fine from within Scribus,
>> and in a PNG image export, however the exported PDF file shows a
>> completely garbled screen as viewed in Acrobat 7. I am not an expert
>> user and if there are specific export settings needed, I probably didn't
>> set them. I am using a TrueType font, is this a known issue?  Acrobat
>> reports the following about fonts in the document:
>>
>> EdwardianScriptITC  (Embedded)
>> Type: TrueType
>> Encoding: Custom
>>
>> Here is a screenshot showing the (good) PNG and (bad) PDF side by side:
>> http://www.bealecorner.com/D30/misc/Scribus-PDF-font-problem.png

I copied the .sla text to Scribus and created a PDF which looks just
like yours. And, I'm on Ubuntu Linux. I think Scribus may not like the
kerning in the Edwardian Script even though it is ITC. Try another
typeface that goes with the theme of your invitation.

Maybe others will have a better idea.

frank