[Scribus] Scribus memory requirements

Craig Ringer craig
Tue May 1 14:26:58 CEST 2007

phriedrich wrote:

> Using an other toolkit, which is not as portable as QT is, would drop
> the support for the non-Linux plattform.

GTK+ and FLTK work OK on Win32, as does WxWidgets. All of them are much
more focused on the GUI toolkit aspect alone, however, and don't provide
the sort of abstractions for other common platform interfaces that Qt does.

If Scribus was written with something like GTK+ I'm sure it'd port fine
to Windows. Such a port probably would've taken a fair bit longer
though, and going by evidence from apps like the GIMP, probably wouldn't
be as good. Of course, non-GUI portability toolkits like the Apache
Portable Runtime do exist to tackle that part of the job.

It's also possible to write a "core" app and implement GUI layers for
each target platform separately. That'd never work well for a highly
interactive canvas-based app like Scribus, and it'd be a massive
duplication of effort as well.

--
Craig Ringer