[Scribus] Scribus memory requirements

ols6000 at sbcglobal.net ols6000
Tue May 1 09:26:32 CEST 2007

At 11:49 PM 4/30/2007, you wrote:
>check your /etc/fstab to see if you are using a swap file or partition and
>then find out the size of those.

Thanks for the info.

>and we will not switch.

That's what I mean by "insistent".

>so, you dont think that 60x100mb (plus fc6's other running apps) is more than
>your 2gb ram + some swap?

What I think is, there is no need to hold all the images in memory
simultaneously. Doing so guarantees that documents will not scale up
(i e, there will be some documents that are too large). An image only
needs to be in memory when you are displaying or printing it, and
even for those, only at the resolution needed. So on a 96 dpi monitor
showing an image at half size, you don't need anything like 4800 dpi.
That would also solve another problem that I mentioned, namely, that
it took over 40 min for the document to crash, and then it was only
partly open. So if I had infinite memory, it might have taken an hour
to open--certainly not acceptable.

>Do you even have a printing solution that will print those images are full
>resolution?

Yes, but you're asking the wrong question. The right one is, how can
Scribus be improved to handle situations that users need, or even
think they need.