[Scribus] Scribus memory requirements

Craig Bradney cbradney
Tue May 1 08:49:33 CEST 2007

On Tuesday 01 May 2007 02:21:34 ols6000 at sbcglobal.net wrote:
> At 04:03 PM 4/30/2007, avox wrote:
> >You might want to check that you have 2-4 GB of virtual memory available.
>
> Can you tell me how to do that?

check your /etc/fstab to see if you are using a swap file or partition and
then find out the size of those.

> >That's not feasible. You or anyone else is invited to program an
> > application like Scribus without using Qt, we wont.
>
> I program all my applications without Qt (on Windows). Why are you so
> insistent that Qt is the only possible GUI?

We arent, but it is the only one for Scribus as Qt is more than a GUI
framework, and on top of that, we like it.. and we will not switch.

> >This example image takes with full resolution approx. 100 MB.
> >How many of these do you have?
>
> A lot (say, 60 in a document).

so, you dont think that 60x100mb (plus fc6's other running apps) is more than
your 2gb ram + some swap?

> >We will improve Scribus so it doesnt need to create the full resolution
> >images
> >in memory any more, but that will be in 1.3.6 or (likely) later.
>
> So you're telling me I can't use Scribus, unless I break my document
> into small parts.

Do you even have a printing solution that will print those images are full
resolution?

Craig