[Scribus] PDF generated from Scribus doesn't print right

avox avox
Wed Mar 28 03:04:06 CEST 2007

John Beale wrote:

> John Beale wrote:
>>  > I generated this PDF with Scribus:
>>  > http://people.angulosolido.pt/~gustavo/scribus/probPDF/problem.pdf
>>  > and although it opens fine on Adobe Reader, whenever I try to print it
>>  > result is half a page of pixelated content, along with a perfect
>> half...
>>  >
>> http://people.angulosolido.pt/~gustavo/scribus/probPDF/print_result.png
>
> just FWIW, when I tried printing page one of "problem.pdf" from Acrobat 7
> (WinXP) on my 600 dpi laserprinter, the resolution was "reasonable", that
> is to say the small text was clearly legible. Not perfect, there was
> slight
> fringing on edges as you expect from a JPEG file at medium quality.
> However page one in the PNG example above is (I would estimate) about 8
> times lower in actual resolution and the small text is in no way visible,
> since individual pixels are the size of entire letters.
>
> With this kind of resolution loss I could not describe it as anything but
> bug.  I would expect only a factor of two loss even for the worst-case
> scaling errors in the worst algorithm, and of course it should be much
> less.

You are right there. In this case the bug would be with the print driver.
Gustavo:
Linux distribution?
CUPS version?
Ghostscript version? (the gs which is used by CUPS and kghostview)

The image looks consistent with a half-loaded progressive jpeg, so it
could be a ghostscript bug related to jpegs.

/Andreas