[Scribus] grayscale images imported as RGB?

Vladimir Savic vlada
Tue Mar 13 03:34:52 CET 2007

On Tuesday 13 March 2007 08:45:44 avox wrote:
> Lila Pagola-2 wrote:
> > hi!
> > I'm working with Scribus in a book, almost finished, because we are in
> > press
> > with everything except cover.
> >
> > Preparing the cover design for pre-press (I don't if in english it's said
> > that way), I have found a rare behavoir of Scribus with grayscale images:
> > they are considered as RGB files, in any format I try to import them
> > (PNG8,
> > gif, tif). And If I import them as CMYK I have information in the 4
> > channels
> > when the image is just black.
> >
> > Somebody has experiencied something similar? Am I doing something wrong?
> > I did a quick search on the web and the list's archives and I didn't find
> > any report of this problem.
>
> As a workaround you can apply the grayscale imageeffect on the image. This
> should convert all data to the K channel.
> If that doesnt work (havent tried it myself), you can use the colorize
> imageeffect
> with CMYK Black. One user told us that this solved this problem.
>
> /Andreas

It was me on Scribus IRC channel.
Indeed. That Solved my problem. But this workaround has pros and cons:

- Adventage - It is possible to chain effects to tint picture to other spot
color then just black (K). Talking about pure grayscale images.

- Disadvantage - this procedure doesn't apply to pictures that are partially
pure grayscale and partially colorized (example - pic that consists of two
gradients one that goes from 0K to 100% and other field filled with red or
whatever).

Vlada