[Scribus] How do I do color correction

Hal V. Engel hvengel
Wed Mar 7 21:43:49 CET 2007

On Tuesday 06 March 2007 22:32, Peter Nermander wrote:
> > What I dont understand is why it's not possible to print out some test
> > page, scan that with your calibrated scanner and create a custom profile
> > from that?
>
> That IS a possible budget solution, however most scanners can't match the
> full gamut of a printer. There are tools for creating a profile that way.
>
> So, just buy an IT 8.7 target, calibrate your scanner using it, then
> calibrate your printer using your (decently) calibrated scanner and all
> that is left is to calibrate your monitor (and I do not yet know of any
> budget solution there, you really have to get hold of a measuring device,
> but if you can borrow one you can get away cheaply).
>
> /Peter

In fact ArgyllCMS has this capability.  But as Peter pointed out the spectral
characteristics of the scanner (sensors and light source), your IT8 target,
and the paper and inks used to print images makes this a crap shoot.  Some
combinations of scanner, paper and inks can yield good results and others can
never be made to work.   But your starting point is a well calibrated and
profiled scanner and at the very least you will need to get a profiling
target.  If you can get paper vendor supplied profiles for your setup then
these will be far better than anything you can create using a scanner as
a "poor mans spectrophotometer".   But again these are only available for
Windows and Mac users.

Again I think the best solution for most users is to use a profiling service
to create custom profiles for your printer.  These profiles will be better in
most cases (unless your printer matches the one used by the paper vendor to
create the profiles exactly) than those supplied by paper vendors while still
being fairly inexpensive.

Hal

Hal

Hal